Re: [Dcpel] questions related to DCPEL scope

Paulo Mendes <mendes@docomolab-euro.com> Fri, 03 March 2006 13:49 UTC

Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 14:49:08 +0100
From: Paulo Mendes <mendes@docomolab-euro.com>
To: Georgios Karagiannis <karagian@cs.utwente.nl>
Subject: Re: [Dcpel] questions related to DCPEL scope
Cc: dcpel@ietf.org

Hi Georgios,

IMO, a state of the art study about centralized approaches should not
have an impact on the DCPEL BOF/WG charter. The major reason is that the
internetworking approach followed by IETF and other organizations, such
as 3GPP, is different: IETF vision of internetworking was always more
close to a distributed approach, while other organizations have been
following a more centralized approach.

Nevertheless, I agree that existing centralized resource management
approaches should be analyzed. But, IMO, this should be done against the
DCPEL requirements I-D. This is, if some of those approaches fulfill the
requirements agreed within DCPEL, they (intact, changed or simplified)
may be candidates to integrate a DiffServ control plane.

But, I also want to stress that the DCPEL requirements I-D mention also
distributed control approaches as suitable for the DiffServ control
plane, following a more IETF way of doing internetworking.

Cheers
Paulo