RE: [Dcpel] DCPEL BoF support

"LEVIS Pierre RD-CORE-CAE" <pierre.levis@francetelecom.com> Fri, 10 March 2006 10:56 UTC

Subject: RE: [Dcpel] DCPEL BoF support
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:56:35 +0100
From: LEVIS Pierre RD-CORE-CAE <pierre.levis@francetelecom.com>
To: dcpel@ietf.org

Hi all,

As the author of draft-meta-qos-class-00.txt stated by Olivier, I would like to provide somm complement to back Olivier's proposal.
IMHO QoS SLS between Autonomous Systems (if we take AS as the basic interdomain element) doesn't really care about PDB.
A PDP is a way, I would say the Diffserv way, to enforce a QoS level target inside a single domain. It is closely related to a PHB or set of PHBs.
Suppose now, I'm an ISP, with a tremendously over-provisioned best-effort network.
Despite best-effort only, I can gaurantee strong QoS.
My neighbouring domains won't decline my offer just because my only PDB is best-effort, they are interested in the level of QoS I can provide, and not in the way I have engineered my network.
Furthermore I, as an ISP, would not disclose my internal network setting. So, for interdomain QoS negotiations we need a notion, an external view, decorrelated from any type of physical realisation, simply to capture the available level of QoS.
It is where Meta-QoS-Class applies. Note that I've sent directly my draft to the RFC Editor because there was no WG, at that time, to host this work, so the draft is in the RFC Editor queue, the intended status is Informational RFC.
This work is the outcome of the MESCAL European project, follow-up of the TEQUILA project well known for its proposal on SLS format.

Regards,

Pierre