[dcrg-interest] 答复: IP over IP solution for data center interconnect

Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com> Sat, 24 December 2011 01:27 UTC

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 01:27:09 +0000
From: Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com>
To: Benson Schliesser <bschlies@cisco.com>
Cc: "dcrg-interest@irtf.org" <dcrg-interest@irtf.org>, "Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com>, "dc@ietf.org" <dc@ietf.org>, "armd@ietf.org" <armd@ietf.org>
Subject: [dcrg-interest] 答复: IP over IP solution for data center interconnect

As for L2 over IP solutions, I agree that the ARP broadcast flood impact on the servers/routers and networks could be alleviated by using the ARP cache mechanism (tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-shah-armd-arp-reduction-02.txt) or some ARP mapping system.

However, since the DC gateways usually need to forward traffic to so many hosts at most time, they need a very large ARP cache table to contain so many ARP entries. Otherwise, the ARP cache aging-out timer should be set short enough. In the way, the DC gateways would have to send ARP requests more frequently, in addition, the gateways are required to have a much large packet cache to cache the received packets destined for the hosts before the ARP responses for them are returned, otherwise the received packets would have to be discarded when the cache is overflowed. In a word, I don't know how the mapping system could help on this ARP table scaling issue.

Best regards,
Xiaohu