Re: [decade] DECADE WG to be closed

Songhaibin <haibin.song@huawei.com> Sat, 22 September 2012 06:53 UTC

From: Songhaibin <haibin.song@huawei.com>
To: Martin Stiemerling <martin.stiemerling@neclab.eu>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 06:52:10 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.138.41.123]
Cc: "decade@ietf.org" <decade@ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [decade] DECADE WG to be closed

Dear Martin,

The requirements document was accepted on Oct. 18, 2010, and the architecture draft was accepted on March 7, 2011.

> Another important data point, as mentioned earlier:
> There has been public feedback from IETF community members, such as Dave
> Crocker and Carsten Bormann, which questioned the technical base of
> DECADE as a whole. This happened at the end of the 2011 and in the first
> quarter of 2012.

> The was no and still has not been an adequate response from the DECADE
> WG to these reviews. For instance, the requirements did get a lot of
> feedback from Dave Crocker, but this feedback was never addressed in an
> email. I also have been unable to sort out what parts of the feedback
> has been addressed in the updated draft and how, and what parts have not
> been addressed.

I believe all those comments were addressed in the current draft, as I joined the discussion with the authors to address the comments. Their efforts should be respected. The authors and I would like Dave and Carsten to check the draft with their comments, if they are interested. While I admit answering in the mailing list is a main method to resolve comments, but it is not the only method.

> I have also received much stronger feedback about the DECADE WG in
> private emails to me. Again from long standing IETF community members
> that send me feedback arguing that DECADE is not having a technical base
> to build on top of.

OK. But general rule for IETF is rough consensus, not private emails. Why not discuss their questions in the list?

> You have asked in your other email to give more time to the WG until the
> next IETF meeting in November. This would be one possible way forward,
> but I do know about the past 6 months after the IETF meeting in Paris.
> Not a lot has happened during this period in order to improve the WG
> drafts, in the sense that there is a solid technical base where DECADE
> could continue to work from.

I can answer If your question about the technical base can be more specific.

> Even if you and the whole WG would start to work full-time on the
> drafts, it still would take longer than to the next IETF meeting to move
> the requirements and architecture forward. My gut guessing is that it
> will take at least until March 2013.

> To give an example:
> It is completely unclear how the resources on a DECADE server are
> supposed to be managed and how this management is mapped to the protocol
> split of SDT, DRP, and other management protocols.
> Parts of it, such as setting the permissions of data objects clearly
> belongs to the DRP, and it is sort of stated in a vague way in the
> architecture, but it is not documented in a comprehensive way. Other
> parts, such as the accounting is probably not part of the the DRP nor
> SDT, but there is supposedly another interface that is needed for this.
>
> Has this been discussed at any point in the WG?

I just read the email that Richard answered these questions with text from the current drafts. And I agree with his answers.

While I respect that AD can make the decision of closing a WG, but I see a dozen of emails expressed their disappointment.

BR,
-Haibin