DECnet MIB question

Debasis Dalapati <deb@tci.bell-atl.com> Mon, 10 August 1992 23:04 UTC

Date: Mon, 10 Aug 92 18:57:49 EDT
From: Debasis Dalapati <deb@tci.bell-atl.com>
To: phiv-mib@pa.dec.com
Subject: DECnet MIB question

Hi,

I am looking at the document "DECnet Digital Network Architecture Phase IV,
Routing layer Functional Specification, December 1983" and not sure how the
following management information is modeled in the Phase IV mib specification.

1) page 38-39, adjacency database.
   Adjacencies are for broadcast circuits, neighbors on non-broadcast circuits,
   all router adjacencies on the ethernets and endnodes in the home-area.

   In the RFC1289, page 50 for Adjacency group, PhivAdjEntry is INDEXed by
   phivAdjCircuitIndex. The DESCRIPTION for phivAdjCircuitIndex is "A unique
   index value for each known circuit".

   This is fine if only the broadcast circuit adjacencies are of management
   interest.
   Are the broadcast router adjacencies and endnode adjacencies are of no
   management interest? Why? Is it because they are of transient nature based
   on the hello timer?
   If all kind of adjacencies at a given point of time are of management
   interest, should not the INDEXing be through phivAdjNodeAddr with some
   way of identifying the multiple broadcast circuit adjacencies?

2) In the RFC1289, page 53-59 talks about line table and non-broadcast line
   table.
   In the UNIX environment, these tables may be initialized from the kernel.
   In the non-UNIX environment, at least for my target environment, it is
   other way; the drivers ( at least the non-broadcast ones) start by reading
   these table. In other words, these tables are populated at initialization.

   Would it be appropriate to define a new ACCESS type that brings out the
   fact that some objects are writable at initialization only and then they
   are read-only?

3) IfIndex is so specific to UNIX environment and it is used to describe few
   objects in the MIB spec! A non-UNIX person just asked me the question after
   looking at the MIB spec?

I would appreciate any help you could provide.

Thank you. ( Thank you Jon@dec.com for your previous reply. I missed it
in my previous mail to you.)

[   deb@tci.bell-atl.com                                        ]
[   Debasis Dalapati            Bell Atlantic Software Systems	]
[   Expressed opinions are only mine.                           ]