Re: RFC 1289 and Phase IV-Prime questions and nasty "-"

Art Berggreen <art@opal.acc.com> Wed, 02 December 1992 18:04 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1992 09:36:57 -0800
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Art Berggreen <art@opal.acc.com>
To: phiv-mib@pa.dec.com
Subject: Re: RFC 1289 and Phase IV-Prime questions and nasty "-"
Cc: saperia@tcpjon.ogo.dec.com

>I have been asked if 1289 is going to be modified to include Phase IV-Prime
>functions before it is spun to Draft Standard status.

"Phase IV-Prime", "Phase IV-Plus", What is the official DEC nomenclature
(if there is one)?

>My current view is that the MIB was created to instrument a specific set of
>functions and that I would like not to add any more objects or groups to this
>mib for Phase IV-Prime.  The only thing that would convince me that we should
>add the new functions is if there were a public demand for these new
>features on this list.
>
>So.. unless people speak up to the contrary stating that they have Phase
>IV-Prime implementations and they really want to add the instrumentation with
>new MIB elements, I would be reluctant to add them to this MIB.  In fact, a
>new working group would probably have to be formed anyway to do the work.

Unless DEC can be persuaded to publish the Phase IV-Prime extensions
(something I'd really like done), I don't think it's a good idea to
base part of a MIB on undocumented protocol extensions (even if they
have generally been figured out).

Art