[Detnet] Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-detnet-ip-over-mpls-07: (with COMMENT)

Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 09 September 2020 15:15 UTC

From: Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-detnet-ip-over-mpls@ietf.org, detnet-chairs@ietf.org, detnet@ietf.org, Ethan Grossman <eagros@dolby.com>, eagros@dolby.com
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 08:15:36 -0700
Subject: [Detnet] Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-detnet-ip-over-mpls-07: (with COMMENT)

Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-detnet-ip-over-mpls-07: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-detnet-ip-over-mpls/

COMMENT:

(Identical comments as draft-ietf-detnet-mpls – if needed, we can chat about
them only once)

** Section 6.  Per “Application flows can be protected through whatever means
are provided by the underlying technology”, what is the scope of “underlying
technology”, is that an application concern?  Or a DetNet data or control plan
concern?  The text isn’t clear on who’s responsibility it is to provide these
services (IPSec or MacSec), or what assumptions the application can make?  IMO,
the clearer statement to make is that MPLS doesn’t provide any native security
services to account for confidentiality and integrity.

** Section 6.  Per “From a data plane perspective this document does not add or
modify any header information.”, to be clear, does this text mean
“_application_ header information”?  I’d recommend being clear.

** Section 6. Please s/for the mitigation of Man-In-The-Middle attackers/for
the mitigation of on-path attackers/

** Note the DISCUSS for draft-ietf-detnet-mpls.  Whatever the resolution on
that text would apply here too.  Due to the overlap in authors on both
documents, I’m adding the marker for that feedback here as a comment.