Re: [Detnet] Magnus Westerlund's Discuss on draft-ietf-detnet-mpls-12: (with DISCUSS)

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Mon, 14 September 2020 15:38 UTC

Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 17:38:38 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
Cc: Stewart Bryant <stewart.bryant@gmail.com>, Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, draft-ietf-detnet-mpls@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, DetNet Chairs <detnet-chairs@ietf.org>, Ethan Grossman <eagros@dolby.com>, DetNet WG <detnet@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Detnet] Magnus Westerlund's Discuss on draft-ietf-detnet-mpls-12: (with DISCUSS)

A bit of hopefully fun rante:

There has been a lot of opinion politics around how easily an MPLS vs. e.g.: an IPv6
domain can be isolated. In the past, some MPLS proponents liked to produce FUD against
SRv6 by claiming that an SRv6 domain would never be as easily isolated than an MPLS domain
because it is so much easier for IPv6 packets to be crossing isolation boundaries.

In todays realities, where MPLS is equally supported in linux for VMs in data centers
as IPv6/SRv6 is, i think one should not assume a pragmatic difference, and the
easy hardware isolation we might have had in the past in MPLS domains when all routers
where physical boxes do IMHO not exist today anymore when everything is a hidgepodge of
VMs/containes/lamdas orchestrated by SDN provisioning systems so complex, nobody
understand anymore how they work.

yada yada:

PREOF is _the_ core contribution of DetNet IMHO, so it actually makes that contribution
stronger if its security aspects are well documented. Especially given how attacks
against a state-machinery like the one that has to buffer & reorder packets is something
that really as not existed in the type of nodes we hope to get DetNet into, so its
novel, good information for the developer / deployment community. Even if ultimately
the main learning point is probably more about building PREOF that is resilient
against unintentional malfunctions than malicious attacks.

Cheers
    Toerless