Re: [Detnet] Regarding the model for Active OAM packet

Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com> Wed, 19 September 2018 06:31 UTC

From: Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com>
To: Greg Mirsky <gregimirsky@gmail.com>
CC: János Farkas <Janos.Farkas@ericsson.com>, DetNet WG <detnet@ietf.org>, "detnet-chairs@ietf.org" <detnet-chairs@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 06:31:15 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.194.201]
Subject: Re: [Detnet] Regarding the model for Active OAM packet

Hi Greg,

Indeed, there is no DetNet Associated Channel defined in draft-ietf-detnet-dp-sol-mpls for now, I think there should be.  I also assume that PW ACH will be used for DetNet OAM.

Assume that PW ACH will be used for DetNet OAM and the reserved filed of the PW ACH will be used to carry sequence number for OAM packet. But  for PREF, a tricky way is to treat the “Version”+ “Reserved” + ”Channel type” as the Sequence number, the replication or elimination nodes do not need to differentiate whether it is a d-CW or  a PW ACH . This way, OAM can be supported without additional processing and states.

       0                   1                   2                   3
       0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
      |0 0 0 1|Verion |    Reserved   |         Channel Type          |

Regarding sequence number, there are two ways to generate the sequence number IMHO:  1) generated by the edge node, but it may need to configure the start number, or 2) copied from the application-flow (if there is). If the WG agree with this, the model can be updated reflect this.

Best regards,
Mach