Re: [Detnet] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-detnet-bounded-latency-02

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Thu, 25 February 2021 19:01 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 20:00:35 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
Cc: DetNet WG <detnet@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-detnet-bounded-latency@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-detnet-bounded-latency@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Detnet] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-detnet-bounded-latency-02

Mea maxima culpa for missing tihs deadline, but will be happy to resubmit when it comes back to IETF
review, otherwise feel free to alreay read now and consider my input:

Very nice document overall. Due to time i'll have to postpone some more knucklehead text
details to IETF review time slot.

The one very high level comment i have is that i am missing any linkage between this
document and where in the DetNet forwarding plane to apply bounded latency control.

I also looked through the architecture and could not find anything. Likewise MPLS and
IP RFCs. Aka: nowhere in the documents can i find something saying "this is a
DetNet forwarding function where bounded-latency control is to be applied".

I am not even sure if the WG knows or agrees where that would be. Without any such tie-in,
the claims of the architecture that bounded latency is provided for by DetNet
seems like an undelivered promise. and readers of our documents would likely become
very frustrated trying to figure this out because this gap is not even explicitly acknowledged.

For example, i imagine that the most simple instance of applying bounded latency
to detnet would be a DetNet MPLS deployment, where every MPLS forwarder is a
DetNet service-node? (if that is he right word), the S-Label is label switched,
hence allowing for the forwarder to have DetNet Flow awareness and tie the appropriately
selected per-flow bounded latency operations to packets of the flow.

Of course, i would have hoped to find such text in the forwarding or architecture
RFCs, but without anything so explicit thre, why not add such a simple example
to codify this tie in between he concepts presented in this draft and the
DetNet fowarding plane.

If there are no explicit examples for the most simple detnet forwarding functions
and where/how to apply bounded latency to it, then i think that too should be
explicitly written into this document to set expectations straight.

Cheers
    Toerless