[Detnet] 答复: IP dataplane

"Yangfan(Fan,IP Standards)" <shirley.yangfan@huawei.com> Thu, 11 November 2021 19:11 UTC

From: "Yangfan(Fan,IP Standards)" <shirley.yangfan@huawei.com>
To: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>, "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert=40cisco.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
CC: "detnet@ietf.org" <detnet@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 19:11:41 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.45.165.218]
Subject: [Detnet] 答复: IP dataplane

Hi Pascal and Toerless,

I am fully concurred with your discussions.
The reasons Pascal lists in previous emails elaborate why IP+UDP encapsulation is not feasible, especially from the hardware perspective. These are sound technical issues which every vendor would face.
I would also agree the IP+UDP+MPLS DetNet header encapsulation is a workaround solution. If it is already implied in previous RFCs, I question the necessity of producing the separate RFC if so.
Regarding the IPv6 extension header discussions in v6ops/6man, DetNet should catch up and take the advantages of new mechanisms. As the hardware evolves, DetNet shouldn’t be achieved only based on the legacy techniques. Take d-ACH format for OAM as an example, DetNet OAM extension is also keeping aligned with PALS discussion.

draft-pthubert-detnet-ipv6-hbh-06 introduces a generic and flexible format to solve multiple DetNet problems, e.g. PREOF, OAM, and DN flow identification on forwarding layer etc. It can be richly extended because of the characteristics of IPv6 extensions headers, which is greatly interested by many companies right now. If the adoption call is going to poll to draft-varga-detnet-ip-preof, it is also reasonable to adopt draft-pthubert-detnet-ipv6-hbh, as they represent different underlying encapsulations to support IP PREOF function.

Best regards,
Fan