[Detnet] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-detnet-ip-over-mpls-07

Vincent Roca via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 07 September 2020 11:38 UTC

From: Vincent Roca via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: secdir@ietf.org
Cc: last-call@ietf.org, detnet@ietf.org, draft-ietf-detnet-ip-over-mpls.all@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 04:38:13 -0700
Subject: [Detnet] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-detnet-ip-over-mpls-07

Reviewer: Vincent Roca
Review result: Has Nits

Hello,

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate’s ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG. These
comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area
directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

I have no major concern. However I think that the Security considerations section
could and should better leverage on [I-D.ietf-detnet-security] (currently it is mainly
cited but that's all). Indeed, the [I-D.ietf-detnet-security] document is all about
DetNet security, it introduces the problem in a clear manner, then it discusses with
much detail both security risks and mitigation technics, providing high level synthesis
tables, and sections 9.1 and 9.2 are even dedicated to IP and MPLS DetNet security.
This is a MUST read document that provides valuable discussion (perhaps more than
in the present document, sorry).

I also think the  [I-D.ietf-detnet-security] reference (""Deterministic Networking (DetNet)
Security Considerations") should be a Normative Reference (it's currently in the Informative
Reference list).

Minor comments:

- Section 4.1 uses the S-PE acronym when refering to the Relay Node, whereas S-PE is not
expended in the Abbreviations list of section 2.2.

Regards,    Vincent