Santa Fe meeting

Peter Honeyman <honey@citi.umich.edu> Thu, 24 October 1991 01:40 UTC

From: Peter Honeyman <honey@citi.umich.edu>
To: dfs-wg@citi.umich.edu
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1991 21:37:48 -0400
Subject: Santa Fe meeting
Sender: honey@ifs.umich.edu

IETF DFS WG members:

Let's meet in Santa Fe and discuss recent progress in Internet-capable
distributed file systems.

Transarc recently released a set of documents describing the components
of AFS Version 3.  (See attached messages.)  Although quite voluminous,
I hope we can review them, with an eye toward consideration of whether
it is appropriate for corresponding RFCs to be forthcoming.

I am assured that Transarc will be represented at the meeting.

It would also be useful to learn what we can about congestion control
in NCS 2.0, the RPC layer on which OSF/DCE/DFS (a.k.a. AFS 4) is based.

I am hopeful that some folks from Sun might also attend, and that they
might be able and willing to describe developments on the NFS front.

If there is time, I will describe some of the recent work done here to
make RX (the RPC layer underlying AFS 3) perform better over slow and
congested networks.  A preliminary write-up of this work can be found in
/afs/umich.edu/user/h/o/honey/papers/rxp/rx.ps, available via AFS, or
via anonymous FTP from CITI.UMICH.EDU, or via NFS from EH.CITI.UMICH.EDU.

		peter

------- Forwarded Messages