Re: Agenda for Memphis

Jonathan Wenocur <jhw@shiva.com> Wed, 26 March 1997 18:45 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:36:47 -0500
Sender: dhcp-v4@bucknell.edu
From: Jonathan Wenocur <jhw@shiva.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <dhcp-v4@bucknell.edu>
Subject: Re: Agenda for Memphis

>> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 13:49:12 -0500
>>
>> We have two slots for the DHC WG in Memphis, both on Wednesday 4/9:
>> 1545-1800 and 2000-2200.
>>
>> Here's a first pass at an agenda.  Obviously, it's *way* too long to
>> fit into a 2-hour session.  Some of the issues we can deal with on the
>> mailing list.  Please let me know if I've missed an item you've asked
>> to have included in the agenda.
>>
>> - Ralph
>>
>> [stuff removed]
>>
>> * Droms - several changes to text in DHCP spec and options docs, from
>>   mailing list conversation and connectathon
>>
>>   When should DHCPNAK be sent?
>>   Should option 60 be defined for use by BOOTP as well as DHCP (for
>>     use with option 43)?
>>   Clarification of definition of client-id (incorrect in option doc)
>>   In DHCP spec, "the DHCPREQUEST packet from the client must contain
>>     the same transaction ID as the DHCPOFFER packet." is wrong.
>>   In DHCP spec (4.4.4), client can unicast DHCPDISCOVER message - the
>>     client MUST broadcast the DHCPDISCOVER message (spec is wrong).

Regarding this last text change, as I've said in earlier mail unicast
DHCPDISCOVER messages are used in DHCP proxy clients to send to a
configured DHCP server.  I'd prefer not to see this change made.

>> Ongoing discussion:
>>
>> * Fong, Wenocur - dial-in client issues

I will not ne able to attend the IETF meeting.  I would like to
continue discussion of DHCP and remote access issues, especially since
these seem relevant to changes going into the specs.  I can ask
someone else from Shiva to attend the DHC WG sessions, but that person
probably won't be able to discuss Shiva's DHCP code in depth since
it's separate from the area she's familiar with.  Can we continue this
discussion on the mailing list instead?

-- Jonathan