Re: server-to-server protocols

"Hibbs, R Barr (rbhibbs)" <rbhibbs@pbsrv02.isp.pacbell.com> Tue, 15 April 1997 20:21 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 16:11:20 -0400
Sender: dhcp-v4@bucknell.edu
From: "Hibbs, R Barr (rbhibbs)" <rbhibbs@pbsrv02.isp.pacbell.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <dhcp-v4@bucknell.edu>
Subject: Re: server-to-server protocols

Bob, Kim, Ted, Ralph, et al.--

At 05:09 PM 4/11/97 -0400, I wrote:
>The fundamental question that I am asking is 'Just what is the nature of
>what the server-to-server protocol is trying to accomplish?'  In
particular,
>are we attempting to synchronize binding information (alone) among servers,

>or are we attempting to enable one server to take-over from another by
>synchronizing configuration information?

To which Bob responded on 4/15/97 -1040:
>I guess I naively assumed both. That is, 1) I started to build an
interserver
>message that included the full client binding information and
>2) I simply assumed that a goal of the interserver protocol
>was to allow the configuration of a single server of the SG and
>have this propagate throughout the SG.  But you raise a good point
>that I hadn't considered, i.e., that these are seperable.

It is probably a much simpler approach to have a server report the binding
to other servers in the group than to synchronize the data from which the
binding is constructed.  The former seems to me to be one of the fundamental
requirements of a server-to-server protocol, while the latter seems to me to
be the beginnings of a specification on the internal design of a server.

When we talk of synchronizing binding information, I imagine that we are
synchronizing the RESULTS of whatever process was used by the server
offering the binding to a client -- that is, we don't know (or care to know)
anything about the server's database structure, the resolution of competing
information about options (suppose the vendor class and user class options
are both specified and yield different values for another option -- the
selection of option values in this case may be well-specified, but what
about other cases not so well-specified?).  To phrase it a different way, we
are allowing the greatest possible range of server solutions to
interoperate.

In contrast, if we try to duplicate the PROCESS of creating a binding, I
believe we are also tacitly specifying much of the database and program
design of a server, making it more unlikely that servers from different
vendors will interoperate.

Here I'm looking for guidance.  I think that if a different server offers to
rebind the client, it is entirely reasonable to assume that the offer may be
slightly different, simply because the original and rebinding servers may,
of practical necessity, have slightly different sets of default data and
server-specific configuration.  And so, while we wouldn't guarantee an
identical binding to a client, we would be proposing a highly similar one.
 I think that this may not only be a reasonable approach, it may be the only
one that will interoperate.

Comments, criticisms, and suggestions are welcomed at this point -- just
what does the mailing list think?  An implication of the "simple binding
data" approach is that the client may not get an identical lease when
rebinding.  But is that really any different from the case where the
original server has some option default changed which would apply to the
client during rebinding?

Kim and Ted (and any other implementor) may want to jump in here with
comments about how the choice of a result-oriented vs. a process-oriented
model might effect server program design and operation.

 --Barr Hibbs
  Pacific*Bell