RE: [dhcwg] Changes to remove "client-link-local-address" from th e DHCPv6 header

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Thu, 30 August 2001 15:37 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: 'Ralph Droms' <rdroms@cisco.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Changes to remove "client-link-local-address" from th e DHCPv6 header
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:36:57 -0500
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Just to be clear, there are three pieces of information:

1. The address used to communicate with the relay.
2. The link on which the client's packet was received.
3. The prefix to be used for address assignment for the client.

I think 1 is easy and it should just be the IPv6 source address of the Relay-Forw.

In many cases 2 and 3 are the same but they need not be. I would suggest we solve
this by doing the following:

For 3, the relay should send a prefix and prefix-length.

For 2, the relay can either use 3 or provide some other means of identifying this
information. It may not be an address - it could just be an interface id or some
other opaque info. So, I suggest that for 2, we simply have an "Interface-ID" option
which is whatever the relay wants it to be. The server should treat it as opaque
and simply echo it back to the relay. If the relay doesn't need it (because the
info in (3) is sufficient), it need not provide this option.

Relay-Interface-ID Option:

	2-byte option id
	2-byte option length
	data - interface ID - whatever the relay wants

For example, a relay could simply send 1 byte of data which is the interface number.
Or, it could send 16 bytes to represent an address of the interface.

- Bernie