RE: [dhcwg] Re: Last Call: DHCP Domain Search Option to Proposed Standard

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Thu, 25 October 2001 05:17 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: 'Thomas Narten' <narten@us.ibm.com>, Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Re: Last Call: DHCP Domain Search Option to Proposed Standard
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 00:08:27 -0500
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Thomas ... I believe the conclusion was that these references to the concat draft are necessary. They are necessary for any options that could possibly ever need to make use of the concat technique. The domain search option is one of the options that could be long enough to require concat techniques.

We must require that both the client and server supporting this option MUST also support the concat option. If this isn't the case, then if the server implements concat but the client doesn't, the client may easily improperly process the returned option and this would cause significant problems since the client would not know how to handle multiple occurrences of the option and might use any one of the occurrences (rather than concatenating) or drop the packet as being malformed (since the original DHCP specification said an option may occur only once if I recall correctly).

If a new option is defined that has a fixed length (such as carrying a single IP address), there is no need to require that the client and server also implement concat to support that option.

- Bernie