RE: [dhcwg] DHCP_DECLINE question

Richard Barr Hibbs <rbhibbs@pacbell.net> Wed, 06 March 2002 23:45 UTC

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 10:42:39 -0800
From: Richard Barr Hibbs <rbhibbs@pacbell.net>
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] DHCP_DECLINE question
To: dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

...I agree that a client should not arbitrarily change it's mind about a
lease, just observing that we don't seem to have fully specified all of the
cases, and trying to shine a little daylight on one or two....

<Snip!*>

> So if the server is broken and sends different information in the DHCPACK
> than in the DHCPOFFER, the client can either accept what the server sent,
> or write the server off as broken.   Sending a DHCPRELEASE and then
> reconfiguring isn't going to work, and neither is sending a DHCPDECLINE -
> the server is broken, and no protocol action is going to fix it.

...I agree, but I've also been trying to think of any cases where a client
might find that an option value sent by a server just doesn't work after
receiving a DHCPACK, and whether or not there is any possible recourse.  The
only one I can think of it DNS server addresses:  if they are wrong, the
client is effectively useless for many purposes, the client is not likely to
learn of a bad DNS address until after it has received a DHCPACK, and there
isn't a heck of a lot that the client (or protocol) could do about that, so
your summary seems to be the end of the discussion.

--Barr