RE: [dhcwg] Changes to remove "client-link-local-address" from th e DHCPv6 header

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Wed, 29 August 2001 18:10 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: 'Ralph Droms' <rdroms@cisco.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Changes to remove "client-link-local-address" from th e DHCPv6 header
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:09:27 -0500
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Please see my other message just sent a few moments ago before making this change.

To answer your specific question, correct. In many cases this probably won't be an issue (at least if you consider the IPv4 case as all we have there is giaddr). Sure, there are some cases where this would be a problem (relay has no global address or address of sufficient scope for the interface) and in those the relay uses the option to carry this information.

But, again, we need to look at the RETURN path and that's why I now think making this an option is a bad idea.

- Bernie