RE: [dhcwg] DHCP Option for CableLabs Client Configuration

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Mon, 29 July 2002 21:56 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: 'Paul Duffy' <paduffy@cisco.com>, Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>, 'Ralph Droms' <rdroms@cisco.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org, nrussell@cisco.com, pgrossma@cisco.com, Matt Osman <M.Osman@cablelabs.com>
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] DHCP Option for CableLabs Client Configuration
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:28:35 -0500
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Given that duplicating a lot of work is likely to be rather useless, what about
scaling back the IETF draft to remove much of the text and just have the draft
indicate the option number and that there are suboptions and to see the CableLabs
document for complete details?

With the current draft, there's too much there to make it look like an attempt
at a more complete specification. Therefore, removing most of that material and
simply using the draft to reserve the option number might be best.

This approach also means that the IETF (IANA) is out of managing the suboption
space, but I didn't see that you really wanted that anyway. This may also be
good since it avoids lots of additional debate as to how the suboptions are used
(as I assume that is well documented in the CableLabs documents).

The WG and IESG may need to review the CableLabs document to determine whether
the usage is in line with DHCP (though I can't see why it wouldn't be).

Thomas can probably provide more guidance as to how best to proceed.

- Bernie