[dhcwg] Re: Last Call: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6) to Proposed Standard

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> Mon, 06 May 2002 15:00 UTC

Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 17:01:05 +0300
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: iesg@ietf.org
cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: [dhcwg] Re: Last Call: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6) to Proposed Standard
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

On Thu, 2 May 2002, The IESG wrote:

> The IESG has received a request from the Dynamic Host Configuration
> Working Group to consider Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for
> IPv6 (DHCPv6) <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-24.txt> as a Proposed Standard.

> final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
> iesg@ietf.org or ietf@ietf.org mailing lists by May 15, 2002.
>
> Files can be obtained via
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-24.txt

IPv6 working group has discussed a possibility of using a light-weight
DHCPv6 solution for e.g. DNS configuration, but nothing related to address
allocation.

I threw up this idea and there was some support for it.  Many people are a
bit unconfortable with "legacy" parts of DHCPv6, that aren't really all
that necessary with IPv6.  And these features are the ones that most
people will not need.

So I see two practical approaches:

 1) separate the draft to:
    a) Dynamic Node Configuration Protocol, which is used for
Informational Records only (the main specification)
    b) XXX, which is used when one wants the "stateful" parts, e.g.
address allocation.

   This has the great benefit that when the vast majority of people are
   only interested about a), the base specification would become very
   simple and relatively short.

   The drawback naturally is that this requires more work..

 2) after publishing the draft as is, later come back and specify
   which parts of the DHCPv6 protocol to implement to get either a).

   This has the drawback that those that are only intrerested about the
   lightweight solution have to go through the whole of DHCPv6, and
   that conceptually separating the two might be difficult.

Needless to say, I'm in the favor of 1); I've never been a big fan of
the idea behind DHCPv6, but this way I'd find it rather interesting, for
solving the initial configuration problem.

--8<--