Re: [dhcwg] Query on DHCP client with multiple host

Ryan Scripps <suburbandriver@yahoo.com> Mon, 09 September 2002 18:53 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 11:33:09 -0700
From: Ryan Scripps <suburbandriver@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Query on DHCP client with multiple host
To: dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

(This is probably beginning to go outside the scope of
this discussion group, but...)

The details of a VLAN configuration can differ by
vendor.  Simply stated, each VLAN will need to have a
either a DHCP server of DHCP relay on it.  I am most
familiar with Cisco stuff and have typically seen a
router card added to a switch chassis. This router
card has &#34;interfaces&#34; (all in software) for
each network and can act as router between VLANs and
also as a DHCP relay (Cisco calls it a &#34;helper
address&#34;).  A DHCP broadcast will not be carried
across VLANs in any implementation of VLANs that I
have seen.

I have heard of some (presumably very complex)
implementations where switch ports are shunted to a
default VLAN with a DHCP server on it.  When the DHCP
server assigns an address, the DHCP server kicks off a
script file which dynamically reconfigures the
client's switch port with the correct VLAN assignment.

Good luck,
Ryan Scripps

--- Bhaskar S &lt;Bhaskar.S@motorola.com&gt; wrote:
&gt; Hi Ryan,
&gt;
&gt; Thanks for the info.
&gt;
&gt; I would like to seek more clarification on using
&gt; DHCP along with VLAN. Here
&gt; I mean to say that I have to use DHCP to allocate
IP
&gt; addresses to each of
&gt; the VLAN interfaces, assuming that DHCP server is
&gt; connected to one of the
&gt; VLAN interfaces. Is this possible?
&gt;
&gt; It seemed difficult to me because the DHCP
&gt; requesting IP address for an
&gt; interface would be sent only on that interface?
&gt;
&gt; Thanks in advance.
&gt;
&gt; Regards,
&gt; Bhaskar S.
&gt;
&gt; Regardomg
&gt; ----- Original Message -----
&gt; From: &#34;Ryan Scripps&#34;
&gt; To: &#34;Bhaskar S&#34;
&gt; Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 8:33 AM
&gt; Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Query on DHCP client with
&gt; multiple host
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; &gt; My interpretation is that a DISCOVER must be
sent
&gt; from
&gt; &gt; each interface since they could each be on a
&gt; different
&gt; &gt; network.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; VLANs do not alter the functionality of
DHCP.  You
&gt; &gt; must ensure that each VLAN has a DHCP server
or
&gt; relay
&gt; &gt; agent in it somewhere, however.  Clients on
one
&gt; VLAN
&gt; &gt; typically must route to another VLAN,
therefore
&gt; DHCP
&gt; &gt; DISCOVERs will not be carried across VLANs.
Your
&gt; &gt; switches may allow a single port to trunk
VLANs to
&gt; a
&gt; &gt; single host which could have interfaces for
all
&gt; &gt; available VLANs.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Best of luck,
&gt; &gt; Ryan Scripps
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; --- Bhaskar S wrote:
&gt; &gt; &gt; Hi,
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; The DHCP RFC says:
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &#34;A client with multiple network
interfaces must
&gt; use
&gt; &gt; &gt; DHCP through each
&gt; &gt; &gt; interface independently to obtain
configuration
&gt; &gt; &gt; information parameters for
&gt; &gt; &gt; these seperate interfaces.&#34;
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; Does the above statement mean that
DISCOVER
&gt; message
&gt; &gt; &gt; for getting IP
&gt; &gt; &gt; address for a particular interface
should be
&gt; sent
&gt; &gt; &gt; only on that interface or
&gt; &gt; &gt; does it mean that the DISCOVER message
has to be
&gt; &gt; &gt; sent on each of
&gt; &gt; &gt; the interfaces available on the node ?
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; Also I would like links which would
give how to
&gt; &gt; &gt; configure DHCP in a VLAN
&gt; &gt; &gt; environment.
&gt; &gt; &gt;