RE: [dhcwg] How to respond to Option 50 (requested address)

Chris Pearson <chris.pearson@infocus.com> Mon, 10 June 2002 19:55 UTC

From: Chris Pearson <chris.pearson@infocus.com>
To: 'Jeremy Levy' <jlevy@joltage.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] How to respond to Option 50 (requested address)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:50:37 -0700
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Sorry, I missed your point.  Section 4.3.1 is pretty clear though:

   When a server receives a DHCPDISCOVER message from a client, the
   server chooses a network address for the requesting client.  If no
   address is available, the server may choose to report the problem to
   the system administrator. If an address is available, the new address
   SHOULD be chosen as follows:

      o The client's current address as recorded in the client's current
        binding, ELSE

      o The client's previous address as recorded in the client's (now
        expired or released) binding, if that address is in the server's
        pool of available addresses and not already allocated, ELSE

      o The address requested in the 'Requested IP Address' option, if that
        address is valid and not already allocated, ELSE

      o A new address allocated from the server's pool of available
        addresses; the address is selected based on the subnet from which
        the message was received (if 'giaddr' is 0) or on the address of
        the relay agent that forwarded the message ('giaddr' when not 0).

Note that not only does the server *not* have to offer the requested
address, it is not even the first choice.  And if the first two conditions
are absent, your server only "SHOULD" (not "MUST") assign the requested
address, so the implementation does have discretion to ignore the requested
address even in that case.

Apparently your client mistakenly believes that it will get its way by
repeatedly asking the same question.  The client could eliminate the entire
discover/offer exchange by initially broadcasting DHCPREQUEST with desired
IP per section 3.2, but I imagine that changing the client is not in your
control.

- Chris