Re: [dhcwg] FW: New Version Notification for draft-wing-dhc-dns-reconfigure-01.txt

Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se> Thu, 01 August 2013 09:32 UTC

Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 11:31:50 +0200
From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se>
To: "dhcwg@ietf.org" <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] FW: New Version Notification for draft-wing-dhc-dns-reconfigure-01.txt

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013, Prashanth Patil (praspati) wrote:

> Hi all,
> This draft proposes a mechanism to extend DHCPv6 such that a DHCPv6 Relay
> Agent can dynamically influence priority of DNS servers provided to a
> host, so that a host can use an optimal DNS server for resolution.

I feel this proposal have two problems in my opinion:

I don't like "flags" that means the server responds differently with the
same field. This means there must be server-side logic to handle the
different cases. I believe other solutions which work with a static
server-side configuration file without "if/then/else"-statements are
preferred.

I don't like the chattyness of the proposed solution, where if a client
goes between different states of dualstacked-ness, it needs to talk DHCP
every time.

As I see it, it also doesn't address an additional problem, where if the
client has gotten DNS resolvers from both DHCPv4 and DHCPv6, there
currently is no sure way to know what the client will use (I know for a
fact that different android phones from different vendors behave
differently). If we're going to enhance this, it would be beneficial if
this case would also be solved.

So I propose a change of the solution where the client would initially ask
the following:

What resolver should I use if I am single stacked IPv6.
What resolver should I use if I am dual stacked, and also please tell me
if there is a preference if this resolver is better, same or worse than
any other resolver I might have gotten provisioned any other dynamic way
(DHCPv4 comes off my mind).

I am not knowledable about DHCP to know what the best way to actually
implement this, but from an operational point of view, I would really like
to see the above goals be achieved if we're enhancing the DHCPv6 client
and host stack behaviour anyway.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se