Re: [dhcwg] Comments on 22 rev of the draft

Vijay Bhaskar A K <vijayak@india.hp.com> Fri, 18 January 2002 17:45 UTC

From: Vijay Bhaskar A K <vijayak@india.hp.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Comments on 22 rev of the draft
To: Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 23:08:15 +0530
Cc: vijayak@india.hp.com, Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se, dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Bernie,

See my comments prefixed by VB2>

~ Vijay

> Vijay, see BV2> comments.
>
> - Bernie

VB2> What i mean is, for  finding  the  link,  server  should  not trust
client.  It  knows  the  link  where it is  received.  Based  on its own
address  in the link, it should  allocate  address  to the  client.  The
client may not be  knowing  where it is.  Sometimes,  what it has may be
wrong.  So, the src address in IP datagram may show wrong information.

VB2> Assume,  a client is moving from the 3ffe::/64 network to 5ffe::/64
network.  As per the draft, it will the  confirm  message.  16.2.2  says
that, the server will just compare the binding info it's having with the
one in confirm  message.  I think the server MUST check the prefix also.
It must  check  whether  the  addresses  in the IA are  having  the same
prefixes of the link in which the client is  connected  to.  I think, no
where in the draft, the draft is not dealing with the prefix  comparison
of the link and IA  addresses.  So, in this  case,  the  server  sends a
positive  reply.  The client wont get it,  because, it does have a valid
address to receive it.

VB2> After some time, if it requires another address, it will send a new
request with the src address with 3ffe::/64  prefix and hence the server
allocates the address with 3ffe::/64  prefix for the 5ffe::/64  network.
I think the neat and clean way of client  asking for the  addresses in a
particular  prefix,  is sending  through  an option,  similar  to subnet
selection  option  (RFC 3011).  I can include the text for this  option.
This is one of the  option,  i have  forgetten  to tell in the  previous
mail.

> [...]
> > address configured by the administrator.  What is the standard procedure
> > to be followed?
> >
> > BV> We probably should clean up the text to be consistent. I think the
> > answer is use configured address if so configured for that LINK, otherwise
> > use one of the LINK interface addresses.
> >
> > - In Advertise,  should the server assign all the addresses asked by the
> > client?  (or) only few of them?
> >
> > BV> It depends on the server's policies.
> >
> > - Till what  time,  these  OFFERED  addresses  are  preserved  for those
> > clients to assign?
> >
> > BV> My opinion is that the ADVERTISED addresses are just a possible set of
> > addresses the client will get and may not be the exact addresses. The client
> > must wait until the Reply to the Request before it knows which addresses it
> > got and before it does Duplicate Address Detection. The ADVERTISE should
> > include all of the parameters the client is likely to receive in the Reply,
> > but they are just possible values and not the actual values.
>
> VB> What i am  asking  is, in V4,  there  is a  concept  called  OFFERED
> addresses, which will be reserved to a client.  The server reserves that
> addresses for the some predefined  time.  At the expiration of the time,
> if the client has not sent the  request,  it will be  allocated  to some
> other  clients.  I think,  if we  follow  the  same  policy,  it will be
> better.  Assume, a client  sends a SOLICIT and the server  replies  with
> ADVERTISE  with some  addresses.  Before the client sending the Request,
> if some  other  client  requests  for the  addresses,  with the  current
> mechanism,  the server will assign the  addresses to new client.  It may
> lead to server to send  AddrUnavail  to the first  client, if the server
> has only  limited  number  of  addresses.  It will  lead to  unnecessary
> packet transactions.
>
> BV2> I don't agree. It is much better if the server can just send something
> out and not have to do anything to remember it. With IPv6, what's the likelyhood
> that an address won't be available - we have 2^64 addresses on each prefix!
>
> BV2> What I view the ADVERTISE message to be is for the server to say I am
> willing to give you this stuff [assuming it is avaiable] but that I haven't
> given you the EXACT stuff you will get (since that happens in the Reply to
> the Request).
>
> BV2> BUT please note that this really is up to each SERVER to do what it
> wants. A SERVER can chose to ADVERTISE real stuff and "reserve" it for some
> period of time (and that is a SERVER implementation issue). In my server,
> I might chose that time to be 0 seconds. In your server, you can set it to
> 1 hour. The client can't do anything with ADVERTISEd information other than
> make a decision based on which ADVERTISE it wants to accept (assuming it gets
> multiple). In any case, the information from the Reply is what it must install.
> So, this is purely a server implementation issue.

VB2> Yes. I agree that this is purely an implementation issue.

> > - If the server has fewer  addresses than the client has asked, will the
> > server assign fewer addresses or send AddrUnavail?
> >
> > BV> I would only return AddrUnavail if NO addresses are available. If you
> > can assign some, give the client those. It can make a decisions as to
> > whether it wants to accept them or not.
>
> VB> agreed.
>

> > - The draft says that the renew  message can be used for checking up the
> > validity  of  the  other  configuration  parameters.  For  checking  the
> > validity  of them, will the client  send the option  codes in ORO option
> > (or) send the parameters in their respective options?
> >
> > BV> The Renew message does not need to include those options (including
> > them in an ORO is probably a good idea so the server knows you want them).
> > It is really the Reply that matters and the server will Reply with the
> > current settings. The client can then apply those values. The server will
> > (I suspect) not really check them - it just Replies with the current
> > values.
>
> VB>  Sending  the ORO  option is best  idea.  I think we need to add the
> mechanism  of renewal of other  parameters  (sending  ORO option) in the
> draft.
>
> BV2> Yeah, but that is already clear. See 22.6 (ORO option) text. And also
> Appendix B

VB2> Agreed

> [...]
> > to use those addresses (since it must have gotten them from someone in the
> > past) or drop them (and the IA).
> >
> > - Can you explain the differnce between, "configuration  information are
> > not valid" and "configuration information does not match".  In the first
> > case, for Confirm  message  ConfNoMatch is sent and for the next one, it
> > is  sending  SUCCESS.  The draft says that for  ConfNoMatch,  the client
> > should  send renew  message.  If the  configuration  parameters  are not
> > matching, then what is the use of sending renew message?
> >
> > BV> Have to look into this one more.
> >
> > - For the cases like, "conf parameters are not valid", "conf  parameters
> > does not match" and  "prefix  does not match",  what will the server do,
> > for the release message?  What will the server do? if (i) all, (ii) only
> > few  addresses  are invalid.  Will the server  release the address which
> > are valid?
> >
> > BV> Have to look into this one more.
> >
> > - Section  21.6.5.5 says that, if the client is not able to validate the
> > authentication  for the REPLY  message,  then it should  start  with the
> > SOLICIT.  I feel that this is inefficient,  instead, it can try the next
> > available server which has sent the advertise message.
> >
> > BV> Have to look into this one more.
> >
> > - In the previous  versions, we have  Retransmission  Parameter  option.
> > Why it was removed?
> >
> > BV> There are significant security / DOS issues with allowing the server
> > to set parameters. Also, there are issues as when these parameters are to
> > be used (vs the defaults). If a client moves to a completely different
> > DHCP domain, the parameters may not be valid and how does it know that?
>
> VB> Agreed
>

> > - Some useful options were defined in DHCPv6 extension draft.  When will
> > those options be included in this draft?
> >
> > BV> Suggest the ones you want to have included! Provide the text (if it
> > needs to be revised). That's what Ralph (as editor) has requested in the
> > past.
>
> VB> I think, there are some basic configuration  parameters for the host
> to work comfortably.  We can add options for getting those configuration
> parameters.  The options are,
>
> NIS, NIS+, NTP server addresses, SLP DA addresses and its scope list.
> NIS and NIS+ client domain name, Time Zone.
> hostname,FQDN,static route option.
>
> If you are  agreeing in adding these  options to base spec,i can provide
> the text.
>
> BV2> Supply proposed text (similar to the existing Options sections). If you don't
> supply it, the options won't be in the base spec. If you do, it will just depend on
> what the WG thinks of them. I don't really see any significant reason not to include
> the ones you propose. I think the major issue is to have a clear reason for the option
> and to assure it is well define/specified. One tactic that has been used is to wait
> to define the options until a clear need is found (since then a clearer specification of

VB2> I am sending it in a seperate mail.

--
____Vijay_Bhaskar_A_K____
______Inet_Services______