Re: [dhcwg] Order of options for DHCP Anonymity profile

Sten Carlsen <stenc@s-carlsen.dk> Mon, 31 August 2015 19:07 UTC

To: dhcwg@ietf.org
From: Sten Carlsen <stenc@s-carlsen.dk>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 21:07:33 +0200
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Order of options for DHCP Anonymity profile

I don't quite agree, reshuffling or specifically ordering options both
indicate you want to hide, that alone attracts interest, so maybe the
best thing is to not be different from others?

If the tracker has a copy of the randomisation function, usually just a
few samples will suffice to identify both the function and the position
of the sequence. As comparison, keys for cars with remote control use a
32bit pseudo random number for protection and two consecutive captures
are enough to predict the next number (and steal the car).

I wish I had the answer, all I have are some questions.