Re: [dhcwg] dhc wg last call on "DHCP Relay Agent Assignment Notification Option"

Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com> Tue, 09 May 2006 19:30 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 15:30:13 -0400
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] dhc wg last call on "DHCP Relay Agent Assignment Notification Option"
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
To: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, Stig Venaas <stig.venaas@uninett.no>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org

Thomas - one way to think about this option is that it defines a capability
that replaces the "snooping" technique that some devices use to learn about
the state of DHCP clients.  So, this draft will allow *more* reliable
maintenance of state in a network element that needs that state than is
available through DHCPv4.

Perhaps this mechanism could be clarified by stating more explicitly that
the Assignment Notification option is usually piggybacked on a message to
the client.  In fact, in all the cases I can think of, the Assignment
Notification option would always be piggybacked on a message to the client.

- Ralph