Subject: Re: [ntpwg] [dhcwg] Re: Network Time Protocol (NTP) OptionsforDHCPv6
From: Danny Mayer <[email-masked]>
To: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>, TS Glassey <[email-masked]>, "Richard Gayraud \(rgayraud\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:56:58 -0500
List-Id: dhcwg.ietf.org

Ted,

Let me try and outline the problem again and please come up with an idea
which solves this.

1) The DHCP environment is divided into essentially two groups: Hardware
like Netgear and Linksys routers and Software like ISC's DHCP Server and
Nominum's Dynamic Configuration Server. IETF doesn't allow you to create
a protocol which differentiate between these cases.

The software side of the DHCP implementations are usually run by
organizations for their internal use and are actively maintained. I have
few worries about these since it's easy to deal with (relatively
speaking) errors that the sysadmins make.

The SOHO routers are different since the DHCP servers are built into the
firmware and shipped in their 10's of thousands to individuals and small
businesses who want wireless connections and routers but don't want to
be in the business of configuring and maintaining them.

So let's say Acme Routers ships a router with a builtin DHCP server
which provides NTP server addresses to provide to the DHCP clients and
they put just one address in it. Now say Starbucks gets all excited
about how cheap they are and buys them for all their coffee stores. Now
you have DHCP providing and amplication DDOS attack as all of those
people sitting there laptops are all set up with the same NTP server
address and sending NTP packets to the same NTP server. Note that in the
UWisc/Netgear incident it was the NTP server built into the router that
was the problem but it was only one server. Here we are having the
router distributing the address to other systems which then do the dirty
work and you'd get 10 times the effect of a Netgear incident. This is
the problem that I'm trying to solve or rather mitigate.

I refer you to the UWisc/Netgear incident paper that Dave Mills and Dave
Plonka wrote:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/database/papers/ptti/ptti04a.pdf
The brief slide version is here:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/database/brief/ptti/ptti04.pdf
It also discusses the loads on a number of other servers inclusing NIST
and USNO

PHK's incident with D-Link is written up here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4906138.stm

I await your suggestions on how to prevent the routers becoming
amplifiers via DHCP to bombarding NTP servers.

Danny

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg