[dhcwg] Re: dhcpv6-22 DUID/VUID questions/comments

Michael Johnston <frenchy@quiet-like-a-panther.org> Sun, 20 January 2002 02:50 UTC

From: Michael Johnston <frenchy@quiet-like-a-panther.org>
To: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
Cc: dhcwg <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 02:42:18 +0000
Subject: [dhcwg] Re: dhcpv6-22 DUID/VUID questions/comments
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Bernie,

Intel-ish systems are what I use the most, so my information is skewed in
that direction.

The UUIDs being used today are derived from the algorithm in this document:
http://www.opengroup.org/dce/info/draft-leach-uuids-guids-01.txt

Mechanisms for retrieving (and in many cases storing) the platform UUID from
(to) non-volatile storage are included in (or with) most x86PC compatible
laptop and desktop systems and all Intel Itanium workstations and servers.

In order to get Microsoft WHQL or Intel WfM certification all systems with
network boot support must contain or generate a valid platform UUID.

EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) also requires a platform UUID.

%%michael