[dhcwg] Murray Kucherawy's No Objection on draft-ietf-dhc-slap-quadrant-09: (with COMMENT)

Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 10 June 2020 08:30 UTC

From: Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-dhc-slap-quadrant@ietf.org, dhc-chairs@ietf.org, dhcwg@ietf.org, Tomek Mrugalski <tomasz.mrugalski@gmail.com>, Ian Farrer <ianfarrer@gmx.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 01:30:26 -0700
Subject: [dhcwg] Murray Kucherawy's No Objection on draft-ietf-dhc-slap-quadrant-09: (with COMMENT)

Murray Kucherawy has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dhc-slap-quadrant-09: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-slap-quadrant/

COMMENT:

As with Robert, I'm interested to hear what coordination with IEEE has
occurred, both for this and for the companion "mac-assign" document.

I'm also, as Warren, puzzled as to why the Shepherd Writeup claims there's no
IPR claim when the datatracker disagrees, and struck by how much text here
overlaps with the "mac-assign" document.

As for editorial remarks, I have some:

Section 1:
* I am unable to parse the bullet that defines the "Administratively Assigned
Identifier" quadrant.

Section 1.1.1:
* "Examples of this include: sensors ..." -- remove the colon
* "... temporary MAC address, to send initial ..." -- remove the comma
* "... good for assigning addresses from, but ..." -- remove "from"
* "... easy to track users' movement." -- s/movement/movements/
* "... best SLAP quadrant to assign addresses from, ..." -- suggest "best SLAP
quadrant from which to assign addresses, ..."

Section 2:
* "... typically 6 bytes long ..." -- s/6/six/

Section 3:
* "If we now take the ..." -- suggest "Next, consider the ..."
* Generally I found this section to have a mushy sort of structure.  It begins
and ends by mapping certain use cases onto certain quadrants explicitly, but in
the middle seems to wander into a checklist of things you might think about
without mapping those concepts toward a preferred quadrants.  You might
consider firming this up with, perhaps four separate paragraphs, or even
subsections, each describing ideal uses for one of the quadrants, taking into
account the facets of that choice you've enumerated here.

Section 6
* I suggest omitting the IANA URL.  What if it were to change?  All you really
need is the registry name.