Re: [dhcwg] What sorts of services does DHCP configure?

Sten Carlsen <stenc@s-carlsen.dk> Tue, 15 October 2013 00:23 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 02:23:36 +0200
From: Sten Carlsen <stenc@s-carlsen.dk>
To: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] What sorts of services does DHCP configure?

Another 0.02$/€

I have been thinking a bit longer. I still don't quite agree.

I see it this way:
Whatever information is depending on your location at the time of its
use needs to be handed out by the ONE service that actually knows your
location in the network, the service that actively hands out your address.

Examples:
DNS, resolvers are in most cases restricted to the local users, so you
need the local copy but it will give equivalent answers wherever you are.

IMAP, you have an account, so you need access to the one server that
keeps your data. (simplified a bit).

SIP is also very node specific, but there are two ways to look at this
service:
- a SIP phone that will always connect to the same service, so wherever
you may be, you will always use the same service. Works sort of like a
mobile phone. Example: skype.
- a SIP phone that will connect via the local serivice. Works like
bringing your own phone and plugging it into any outlet and using the
phone service of your host.

I have experienced both ways of operating.

The most common example, though it does not fit the bill, is WIFI. If
you get access, it will do the same wherever you are -> mostly network
specific. OTOH you normally have a subscription so only the paying
customer may access the node -> node specific.

I may think that IF DHCP is the only way to distribute information for
geographical reasons, it should be used. OR "somebody" should suggest a
new set of protocols and servers - including how "it" would get the
information about the client's network location from DHCP.