RE: [dhcwg] DHCP_DECLINE question

Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com> Thu, 07 March 2002 03:02 UTC

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 21:58:32 -0500
To: dhcwg@ietf.org
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] DHCP_DECLINE question
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

At 03:31 PM 3/6/2002 -0800, Richard Barr Hibbs wrote:

>I'll try to clarify the points.....
>
>--Barr

The meaning of DHCPDECLINE is pretty well-defined; from the 5th element in
the numbered list in section 3.1 of RFC2131:

      If the client detects that the
      address is already in use (e.g., through the use of ARP), the
      client MUST send a DHCPDECLINE message to the server and restarts
      the configuration process.

DHCPDECLINE is intended for use when the assigned address is already in use.

In my opinion, a client is within the spec if it sends a DHCPRELEASE
immediately after receiving a DHCPACK (for whatever reason).  The
DHCPRELEASE will terminate the lease and make the address available for
reassignment without causing the server to mark the address as "not to be
assigned".

There is still the open question of whether we want to *recommend* this
behavior...

><*Snip!*>
>
> > I agree that there is no explicit mechanism for rejecting a lease (as
> > opposed to releasing it) once the server sends the REQUEST.  Is
> > there much
> > of a difference between the two cases?
> >
>...only that if a client releases the lease it is likely to get the same
>lease the next time it starts the cycle....  I don't think we should be
>making a change to the protocol at this point lacking sufficient evidedence
>of harm caused by the current behavior, but it does seem a bit of an
>oversight....

But the problem isn't the lease/assigned address so much as the other
parameters.  If the client gets the same (unacceptable) parameters in the
subsequent DHCPOFFER, the client will ignore it.

>--Barr

- Ralph