Re: [dhcwg] Re: [ntpwg] Network Time Protocol (NTP) Options for DHCPv6

"David L. Mills" <mills@udel.edu> Mon, 19 November 2007 05:17 UTC

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 05:17:33 +0000
From: "David L. Mills" <mills@udel.edu>
To: ntpwg@lists.ntp.org, dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Re: [ntpwg] Network Time Protocol (NTP) Options for DHCPv6

Danny,

As I understand it, the DHCP client broadcasts a request to the DHCP
server and receives a response. There is an opportunity for the DHCP
client to measure the delay, should it be so instrumented. In no way did
I intend the DHCP server run NTP for any business but itself.

The discussion has left me a little uneasy about the specificy of the
message formats to the current NTP implementation. Things like minpoll
and maxpoll could be interpreted in context to protect the NTP servers,
but in the DHCP environment that probably is not an issue. There is no
real need to reveal broadcast mode servers. As long as the client knows
the address mask, it can generate the broadcast address to listen on. It
doesn't make sense to advertise symmetric modes, as these are usually
reserved for serious low-stratum campus servers. This leaves only
client/server mode as useful. However, the key ID is important, as the
NTP client and server should share the same bag of keys and the client
might not know the current server key ID.

Some perspective on the issues can be gained from our experience with
other discovery schemes like broadcast, manycast and the pool. Broadcast
provides the server address (for delay measurements), stratum and key
ID. Manycast servers filter the client stratum and respond only if they
can provide better time. They also provide the key ID. The pool scheme
merely provides the server addresses. In all three schemes the client
can filter the responses for acceptable stratum and then cast out the
survivors from the population leaving only the best quality survivors.
The DHCP discovery scheme needs only to provide comparable statistics. A
client can use any combination of these schemes.

Dave