[dhcwg] RE: Client FQDN

"Bernie Volz" <volz@cisco.com> Wed, 14 July 2004 04:44 UTC

From: Bernie Volz <volz@cisco.com>
To: 'CTO YAN Renxiang' <Renxiang.Yan@alcatel-sbell.com.cn>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:19:07 -0400
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: [dhcwg] RE: Client FQDN
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

Why?

The DHCP server will return the fully qualified domain name for each address
to the client (if appropriate). With this and if you know the how to reach a
DNS server, you can find out where the zone cut is. Ask for NS RRs with the
fully qualified domain name; if that doesn't return any, remove the first
component (ie, for a.b.test.com, remove a) and try the resulting domain ...
Keep going until you find the NS records or you run out of domain names. If
you find NS records, try the updates to the one or more servers.

Nothing more needed.

Now, agreed, that if the DHCP server doesn't return the Client FQDN option
for a address, then the DHCP client will need something for it to use. And,
lacking anything else, using the DNS search list probably isn't that bad an
idea.

- Bernie