RE: [dhcwg] behavior on lifetime expiration (Re: commentson draft-ietf-dhc-lifetime-01.txt)

"Bernie Volz" <volz@cisco.com> Wed, 25 August 2004 02:03 UTC

From: Bernie Volz <volz@cisco.com>
To: 'JINMEI Tatuya / _-¾'BÆ' <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>, 'Ted Lemon' <mellon@nominum.com>
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] behavior on lifetime expiration (Re: commentson draft-ietf-dhc-lifetime-01.txt)
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:12:07 -0400
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

Jinmei:

You'd prefer IPv4 based information over IPv6?

And DHCPv4, if Inform was used, doesn't have *ANY* time to expire the
information - so I don't think you'd want to use this information in
preference to DHCPv6 information with a time?

If you can't obtain newer information, you're always free to take whatever
steps you like on the client - ie, start a local recursive server daemon
(e.g., run BIND named on my laptop and specify ::1 in /etc/resolv.conf).

The issue of not receiving some information that was previously received is
a good one and we probably should give some advice in the draft as to
possible options that a client could chose (based on "local" policy). My own
feeling is that I'd discard the old information and use the new, especially
if the source can be trusted (ie, authentication was used). There may be
valid reasons why some options are no longer available; in other cases it
could be a configuration error and in that case it may be good for
administrators to know about it sooner than later. The worst is if it is a
Denial of Service attack, but in that case they can just as easily send you
bogus information.

- Bernie