RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: randomization delay before invoking DHC

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Wed, 08 May 2002 16:04 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: 'Thomas Narten' <narten@us.ibm.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: randomization delay before invoking DHC
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 10:58:47 -0500
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

This issue on the flip-flop of the ManagedFlag is already addressed in RFC 2462:

5.5.3.  Router Advertisement Processing

   On receipt of a valid Router Advertisement (as defined in
   [DISCOVERY]), a host copies the value of the advertisement's M bit
   into ManagedFlag. If the value of ManagedFlag changes from FALSE to
   TRUE, and the host is not already running the stateful address
   autoconfiguration protocol, the host should invoke the stateful
   address autoconfiguration protocol, requesting both address
   information and other information.  If the value of the ManagedFlag
   changes from TRUE to FALSE, the host should continue running the
   stateful address autoconfiguration, i.e., the change in the value of
   the ManagedFlag has no effect.  If the value of the flag stays
   unchanged, no special action takes place. In particular, a host MUST
   NOT reinvoke stateful address configuration if it is already
   participating in the stateful protocol as a result of an earlier
   advertisement.

So, it shouldn't need to be restated in the DHCP specification?

- Bernie