RE: [dhcwg] Parameter list from multiple servers?

"Richard Barr Hibbs" <rbhibbs@pacbell.net> Tue, 25 May 2004 15:22 UTC

From: Richard Barr Hibbs <rbhibbs@pacbell.net>
To: Dhcwg <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Parameter list from multiple servers?
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 08:08:20 -0700
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

this is one of our famous (infamous?) "out-of-band" configuration
suggestions....  obviously, DHCP servers provisioned by different
authorities but serving the same client population might not be able to
comply with this behavior.

I take a small exception to one thing you said:  the RFC implies that a
client selects from multiple offers based on some unspecified criteria, with
few guidelines as to what the criteria might be, or how they are
established.  We've seen clients that (1) always selected the first offer
received, (2) only selected offers that included all options requested, and
(3) refused to accept offers differing from the immediately prior lease
accepted.  My own opinion is that attempting to define "best" choice of
competing offers in the RFC would be both a thankless task, and unlikely to
be successful.

--Barr