RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: Temporary addresses

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Wed, 08 May 2002 18:23 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: 'Thomas Narten' <narten@us.ibm.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: Temporary addresses
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 13:19:34 -0500
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

I don't have a problem in allowing IA_TAs to be in Renew/Rebind. It wasn't clear from our previous discussions on this subject whether we needed that capability or not.

One question is whether to modify the IA_TA option to be basically the same format as the IA option and include T1/T2 times. I would say NO. Instead, for IA_TAs, it is up to the client to initiate a Renew (and eventually Rebind) should it want to extend the lifetimes. Normally, the lifetimes are not extended (unless the client needs to do so). I think this matches the RFC 3041 behavior?

The changes should be fairly minor to accommodate this.

More text on when to get a new set of temp addresses also makes sense (as you proposed). A new set of temp addresses will require a new IA_TA IAID.

The following text:

>    A server MUST return the same set of temporary address for the same
>    IA_TA (as identified by the IAID) as long as those addresses are
>    still valid.  After the lifetimes of the addresses in an IA_TA have
>    expired, the IAID may be reused to identify a new IA_TA with new
>    temporary addresses.

was in reference to a Request. We wanted to be clear on what happens should a server receive a Request with the same IAID in a IA_TA option that it already sent a Reply to. This could happen, for example, because of retransmissions or if the client "crashes" before receiving the initial Reply and reuses the same IAID when booting perhaps several hours later. Anyway, the point was that in a Request, if the IA_TA IAID is the for an existing binding, the server should return that existing binding if the lifetimes are still reasonable. We might think about whether we should change "are still valid" to "are still preferred"?

- Bernie