Re: [dhcwg] Publication of draft-droms-agentopt-8021x-00.txt

"Haines Wolfe" <hainesie@hotmail.com> Thu, 22 November 2001 14:14 UTC

From: Haines Wolfe <hainesie@hotmail.com>
To: rdroms@cisco.com, jschnizl@cisco.com, dhcwg@ietf.org
Cc: droms@bucknell.edu, g.tsirtsis@flarion.com, jerome.privat@northstream.se
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Publication of draft-droms-agentopt-8021x-00.txt
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 14:05:54 +0000
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

I think it is a good idea to combine 802.1x and DHCP, which can give us a
better subscribe management solution for public broadband access.

For broadband access, such as DSL, CableModem, or Wireless/Long Reach LAN,
end-user interface is mainly the Ethernet. As for the middle-layer
non-Ethernet network(HFC or ATM), they act mainly as the emulated LAN
bridge. And with the trend of "Ethernet everywhere" or "Ethernet to the
first/last mile", we need a corresponding subscriber management (AAA)
solution which is cheap, simple, and efficient.

PPPoE was mainly used in ADSL access. With the backend network is mainly
ATM, there exist point-to-point "virtual bridge" between CPE and NAS. So it
can reuse the AAA infrastructure widely deployed in ISP's dial-up network.
But despite all the merits inherited from PPP, it brings out complexity,
inefficiency, overhead, and additional cost.  Lots of packets generated from
server farm LAN segment, while size of which is 1500, will be fragmentd at
NAS(BRAS), thus cause seriously performance decrease.

Requirement for "IP directly over Ethernet in data plane" is emerging. Some
vendors have web-based service sign on solutions, but which can only cover a
little. While some DHCP enhancement work has been taken, to demostrate a
sound solution model, which can be referenced from 1)"Triggering AAA from
DHCP Relay Agents", 2)"AAA/DHCP Proposal", and this issue:
1) http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/01mar/I-D/dhc-aaa-ra-00.txt
2) http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/01mar/slides/dhc-2/index.html

But some more details may need to be discussed about the AAA model of public
broadband access.

i) roles of NAS(BRAS), DHCP relay, 802.1x PAE, and AAA Client
ii) security
iii) accounting

i) To replace PPP, we must have a networking gear like NAS/BRAS. In dial-up
network, which terminate PPP link; while in broadband access, which act as a
dhcp relay agent, and a radius AAA client, to
control user access, apply policy, provide and account for the service.

EAPoL is the ideal protocal between user terminal and NAS, which extended
the flexibility of PPP authentication(such as smartcard support), without
the overhead in data plane of the stack protocal, and enable the reusing of
ISP's AAA infrastructure. Which is the case in the figure 2, slide 3, in
(2).

But in case of wireless LAN or long reach Ethernet(VDSL) access, PAE is
typically a Lay-2 device, which is very close to uesr terminal. Obviously,
it seems impossible to move the NAS function down to this point, for that
will bring much management burden. Thus, we need to pass the 802.1x/EAP
message to the NAS/DHCP relay agent, from PAE or radius server, Then the
above model need a little improvement. A good way to do this is to let the
NAS "stand in the middle of radius interaction", acting as a radius proxy.
All the PAEs send radius requests and receive replys throuth the NAS/DHCP
relay agent, then NAS relay the radius message to or from radius server.

     (AAA client)---------->(radius proxy/AAA client)
host--->PAE--->..Lan Switch..--->NAS/DHCP relay------->Server

Advantage is obvious: consistent with the model above, existing PAE need not
any change(only set the radius server address to the NAS's), less burden via
central access management. We can even see the PAEs as the extension of the
NAS AAA client module.

ii) If someone change his MAC address after authentication, it may cause DOS
attack via the address learning process of the middle LAN switch. So, the
port of PAE must be logical, each host under a physical port has its own
authentication session. After successful Auth, a dynamic filter is
installed, to discard frames which MAC address is not matched. In fact,
without 802.1x, solutions like PPPOE will cause such security problem also.

For public access, we may need to prevent any two host from communicating,
until frames sent from which reached the NAS, that is, it looks like a
point-to-point virtual tunnel from host to NAS. Some vendor's LAN switch can
wok in a "MUX forwarding" mode, such as Cisco PVLAN, 3Com and Extreme has
similar implementation, which can do this.

iii) 802.1x has not defined any standard ways like echo-request/reply in PPP
LCP. Link layer signal detection is not enough, and do we need to enhance
it, to determinate more easily when the user is offline, and release the
resource?