RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: Elapsed Time option

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Thu, 09 May 2002 17:56 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: 'Ted Lemon' <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>
Cc: 'Thomas Narten' <narten@us.ibm.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: Elapsed Time option
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 12:54:48 -0500
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

So, I'm confused as to where you want to go with this?

If we want to be able to make this happen in the future, we have to have clear rules as to when the elapsed time starts for each transaction. We also likely have to make sure that the server sends the option back to the client such that the same value can be used in follow-on messages (really just in the Request(s) after an Advertise?).

Another question is whether single server messages (such as Renew, Decline, Release) should even make use of this option?

Also, we we do allow this option in the single server messages (those with a Server Identifier), what does mean for relays?

- Bernie