RE: [dhcwg] Question on Relay address field

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Tue, 25 September 2001 16:38 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: 'Ralph Droms' <rdroms@cisco.com>, "Dhcwg (E-mail)" <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Question on Relay address field
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:36:29 -0500
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

I don't think that DHCP servers need necessary know all of the architecture information. They and the relays must be configured appropriately such that the relays provide the DHCP server(s) the correct information.

In the particular cases mentioned, I agree with Ralph. In a either address should work. In b, the site-local is all that can be used.

I think it best we specify that a relay should be configureable to return specific information and if it hasn't been configured, it should use the most "global" information it has (either a global address or site-local). It can't use link-local addresses.