Re: [dhcwg] Anyone interested in continuing draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-pool-opt?

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Thu, 22 August 2013 13:46 UTC

From: <mohamed.boucadair@orange.com>
To: Ralph Droms <rdroms.ietf@gmail.com>, Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 15:45:48 +0200
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Cc: "dhcwg@ietf.org WG" <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Anyone interested in continuing draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-pool-opt?

Re-,

IMHO, draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate does not cover the same objectives as in draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-pool-opt.

draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-pool-opt aims to provide a dynamic means to trigger route advertisement actions and to control the route aggregates to be injected using a routing protocol. For example, a router can be told by the DHCP server to advertise an aggregate even if not all individual prefixes are assigned to customer located behind that router. This is a measure that can help in optimizing routing tables and avoid injecting very specific routes. Snooping the assignment and then guide the route advertisement actions may not be lead to the same optimized routing tables, because there will be "holes" that will prevent aggregating routes.

Having an explicit channel like the one specified in draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-pool-opt is superior IMHO.

Cheers,
Med