RE: [dhcwg] questions on RFC 3046 and RFC 3527

"Kuntal Chowdhury" <chowdury@nortelnetworks.com> Wed, 18 August 2004 23:21 UTC

From: Kuntal Chowdhury <chowdury@nortelnetworks.com>
To: "Kostur, Andre" <akostur@incognito.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] questions on RFC 3046 and RFC 3527
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:12:50 -0400
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

Thanks for your response.

> Because the RemoteID isn't necessarily an IP address?
> At least one well-known standard (DOCSIS) sepcifies that the Remote ID is
the MAC address of the cable
> modem, and not an IP address.

It is true that RemoteID is not necessarily an IP address, but it MAY be an
IP address. The question is, if the RemoteID is an IP address, is the use of
RFC 3527 redundant or there are some other reason to include the Link
selection sub-option?

Regarding the confusion between RFC 3046 and RFC 3527 (Q2), I think RFC 3527
should say:

"If the DHCP server supports the Relay Agent Information Option the DHCP
server MUST allocate the address based on the following when the received
Relay Agent Information Option contains the Link selection sub-option:
"
-Kuntal