RE: [dhcwg] Geographic position option

Sam Critchley <Sam.Critchley@wcom.com> Fri, 16 August 2002 16:18 UTC

Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 17:42:02 +0200
From: Sam Critchley <Sam.Critchley@wcom.com>
To: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Geographic position option
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for the help and the comments.

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Bernie Volz (EUD) wrote:

> Sam:
>
> If you want to submit this, you need to send it to internet-drafts@ietf.org. (I think they'd prefer an attachment - .txt file - rather than embedded text.)
>
> If you want this to be a DHC WG item, you need to request that (which is perhaps exactly why you send the email). You can submit the draft (as an individual contribution) in any case.

Okay, I guess I'll go with the flow here... although I assume that if I
send it to internet-drafts@ietf.org as an individual contribution then at
least it gets a URL that people can refer to rather than having to include
the text in every message...

> My questions regarding this draft are:
> 1. What use is the location of the DHCP server? Isn't there some assumption implied here that the server is "close" to the client and hence the client could use the server's location information as an indication of where it is located (and hence use these location based services)?

Sure, this assumption is definitely there. For example, if someone with a
laptop and a 802.11b card logged on to an 802.11b AP whilst travelling to
a city they weren't familiar with, they could use LBS without having to
manually configure their computer.

> However, I don't see that the location of a client and the location of a server are necessarily related. Sure, there are lots of instances where they are physically close (such as an office building). But there are many other indicates where they are not (for example in a cable modem environment). And, how does a client determine this?

I agree that in many cases the DHCP server and client will not be
geographically close (such as in dial-up access or with cable modems as
you say), and it may be preferable to manually input the host's location
at the application level.

The original reason for writing this draft was following some discussion
on an LBS mailing-list, as to whether a similar system would be available
for 802.11 mobile devices as for mobile telephony-style devices, which use
technologies such as E-OTD and A-GPS to derive location. It turned out
that there isn't really a standardised technology to do this, and that
there were two options:

i) Do something in DHCP
ii) Use the NAT setup and a browser environment variable.

The disadvantages of the second are that not everyone has a NAT setup, and
that http isn't the only service which might want to use LBS.

> 2. More text on what a client does with this information would be useful. For example, does the client use it as in (1) above or could a client use this to chose a DHCP server (for example, one that it is "closest" to it if it knows its own location)? I'm not sure what value this has, but it would be good to be clear about how clients use this option.

I think probably the first, rather than the second. What I had in mind was
that an application running on the client host would have an interface to
the location information, and would be able to use that when presented
with a "location request" from a LBS server. Unfortunately I'm not really
an expert on the stack required to do that but presumably it would be the
same as many IP-based applications?

> 3. Is there any assumption that this positioning information might be extended to other devices? For example, could the DHCP server tell the clients where a DNS server or printer is located? (Why this would be of use I have no idea.) Anyway, can more than one Geographic Position Sentence be specified? If so, how? Please note that DHCP doesn't allow multiple options to be present to represent separate instances of the option (all of the option strings are assumed to be concatenatable).
>
> The reason I ask is that the first parameter is "DHCPPS", so by implication this could mean others might be possible. Though, you do say "which always must have a value of "DHCPPS"".

Well, I only really intended this to be used in a DHCP Server -> Client
relationship in order to satisfy the question (initially) of how a mobile
802.11 host might make use of LBS without manual input of location such as
street address etc. However, it's possible that there would be other uses.
That's also why I put in an option to have a sentence other than "DHCPPS",
just in case someone comes up with another one in the future.

> Personally, I'm not so sure of the importance of this option.

Well, I think there would be demand for this mainly for 802.11a/b/g
roaming at the moment. One of the differences between cellular-based
roaming for mobile devices and 802.11 is that there's no location
mechanism in place for 802.11... the kinds of services this enables are
very popular in, for example, South Korea, where over 1 million
GPS-enabled handsets are in use already on the KDDI CDMA network.

Thanks,

Sam

> - Bernie

Sam Critchley           Technology Integration Manager
                        Network Services EMEA
Sam.Critchley@wcom.com  Worldcom
                       	Joan Muyskenweg 22
Tel: +31 20 711 6082    1096 CJ Amsterdam
                        The Netherlands