[dhcwg] Re: Last call for <draft-ietf-dhc-fqdn-option-02.txt>

Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com> Mon, 27 August 2001 21:05 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:04:58 -0700
x-sender: cheshire@mail.apple.com
x-mailer: Claris Emailer 2.0v3, January 22, 1998
From: Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com>
To: Mark Stapp <mjs@cisco.com>, DHCP discussion list <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Subject: [dhcwg] Re: Last call for <draft-ietf-dhc-fqdn-option-02.txt>
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

>At the London meeting, your client did not have credentials
>(I'm betting) that would have allowed it to update "ietf.org" or
>"meetings.ietf.org", and the DNS primary for ietf.org probably
>would not have accepted unauthenticated updates from your laptop.

Why would that have been useful? What's the point of having a constant
well-know host name if that host name keep changing every time you move?

If my laptop is called "something.ietf.org." when I'm at an IETF meeting,
and "something.apple.com." when I'm at work, and
"something.stanford.edu." when I'm at Stanford, what use is that?

My host *did* have various names of the form
"host217-33-141-85.ietf.ignite.net" while I was at the meeting, which had
both valid forward and reverse mappings. If my host is going to have some
name which it cannot control and which no one else knows, then who cares
whether it was dynamically updated or not?

>You downloaded a separate application that performs dns updates for you.

A protocol specification should specify packets on the wire, not how the
software is packaged.

>What your dhcp client must not do is initiate updates for the name
>in the fqdn option if the server tells it not to.

If the DNS administrator doesn't want me to initiate updates, then that's
achieved simply by not giving my client the cryptographic credentials
necessary to do the updates. If I don't have the credentials, then I
can't do the update, and the question of whether my client obey's the
DHCP server or not becomes a moot point.

>no one is interested in 'arbitrary domain names'.

That text about 'arbitrary domain names' was quoted from your draft.

>The host name option already has deployed behavior,

Which works fine.

>and specifies an ascii encoding.

Which works fine.

>can't exchange information about who should perform the update,

Then perhaps the draft should be specifying a "who wants to do the
dynamic DNS update?" option, not an Fully Qualified Domain Name option.

Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer
 * Chairman, IETF ZEROCONF
 * www.stuartcheshire.org