Re: [dhcwg] DHCP Option for CableLabs Client Configuration

Paul Duffy <paduffy@cisco.com> Mon, 05 August 2002 17:11 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 13:07:17 -0400
To: Erik Nordmark <Erik.Nordmark@sun.com>
From: Paul Duffy <paduffy@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] DHCP Option for CableLabs Client Configuration
Cc: Erik Nordmark <Erik.Nordmark@sun.com>, Josh Littlefield <joshl@cisco.com>, Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>, 'Ralph Droms' <rdroms@cisco.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org, nrussell@cisco.com, pgrossma@cisco.com, Matt Osman <M.Osman@cablelabs.com>
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Erik...inline please....

> >2. Some MSO's may decide to deploy DNS on non standard ports.  Its a
> >flexibility issue.
> >3. Not using a standard port makes it slightly less prone to attack by
> >script kiddies.
>
>#2 doesn't state why folks see this need. One possibility is
>definitely walled gardens and in general using a different DNS
>tree than the rest of us. I've yet to see any other concrete reason
>for this (and I don't buy flexibility for its own sake).

Rich Woundy has very thoughtfully addressed the "walled garden" issue from
a service providers point of view.

I have to disagree with you on the flexibility issue.   Hundreds of
thousands, probably millions, of these "headless" EMTA devices will
deployed to the field in the next few years.  A conservative approach
dictates that it should be possible to remotely configure any device
parameter that might reasonably be expected to require configuration.   We
feel the protocol port numbers fall into this category.

Remote software upgrades, recall of devices, or a truck roll to the
customers premises are very expensive and to be avoided.

>And #3 is just security through obscurity which we IMHO have no
>business promoting in our standards.

Yes, this is a very weak argument.  I don't want to leave you with the
impression that non default port numbers are a key ingredient of the
PacketCable security architecture (strictly speaking, this is not
considered part of PacketCable security).  PacketCable makes extensive use
of Kerberos to authenticate MTAs to the provider network, and IPSec to
secure traffic between PacketCable components.  If you're curious,
see  http://www.packetcable.com/specs/PKT-SP-SEC-I05-020116.pdf.

Cheers,

--

Paul Duffy