Re: [dhcwg] DHCP_DECLINE question

Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com> Tue, 05 March 2002 13:43 UTC

Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 08:33:18 -0500
To: Burcak Beser <burcak@juniper.net>
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] DHCP_DECLINE question
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

I agree with Kim and Ted - DHCPDECLINE is defined in RFC2131 to be used in
the case of an address conflict, and many DHCP servers will mark the
address in a DHCPDECLINE so that it is not offered again in the future.

If the client decides that the address or other parameters in a DHCPACK are
not acceptable, the client should respond with a DHCPRELEASE and then
restart the address assignment process with a DHCPDISCOVER.

- Ralph