[dhcwg] Re: mboned: draft-jdurand-assign-addr-ipv6-multicast-dhcpv6-00 comments

Jerome Durand <jdurand@renater.fr> Wed, 04 August 2004 23:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:00:31 +0200
From: Jerome Durand <jdurand@renater.fr>
To: Dave Thaler <dthaler@windows.microsoft.com>
X-Spam-Report: Spam detection software, running on the system "mail1.renater.fr", has identified this incoming email as possible spam. The original message has been attached to this so you can view it (if it isn't spam) or block similar future email. If you have any questions, see postmaster@renater.fr for details. Content preview: > 1) One of the things that both the API and the MADCAP protocol provide > is > allocation of ranges (not "several", but a large number of addresses, > like > a block of 400). This requirement came from applications which want a > larger range to use with things like > a) hashing resource ids into groups (I can't remember the specific > examples here, but IANA often gets requests for blocks of space, and I > believe many of them are for this reason. Dave Meyer can probably > correct me :), > b) assignment to areas inside virtual worlds (from customers in the DIS > industry), [...] Content analysis details: (0.6 points, 5.0 required) pts rule name description ---- ---------------------- -------------------------------------------------- 0.6 DATE_IN_PAST_06_12 Date: is 6 to 12 hours before Received: date
> 1) One of the things that both the API and the MADCAP protocol provide
> is
> allocation of ranges (not "several", but a large number of addresses,
> like
> a block of 400).  This requirement came from applications which want a
> larger range to use with things like
> a) hashing resource ids into groups (I can't remember the specific
> examples here, but IANA often gets requests for blocks of space, and I
> believe many of them are for this reason.  Dave Meyer can probably
> correct me :),
> b) assignment to areas inside virtual worlds (from customers in the DIS
> industry),

I don't beleive we really need this feature. A company that wants plenty
of addresses can be allocated manually for example a block. But can be
added to the specs. (prefix delegation for IPv6 multicast address could
be the answer)

> 2) Another thing that both the API and the MADCAP protocol provide is
> the ability to enumerate scopes (specifically, human readable names for
> them,
> and TTLs/HopCounts to use with them).  The names for scopes are also
> useful
> in other contexts besides multicast address allocation.  (E.g., see
> discussion of
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shen-ipv6-nd-name-seq-options-
> 01.txt at http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/03jul/139.htm, has also come
> up in MMUSIC, etc.)  Hence this capability should be retained.

Could be added in information-requests for example. I think this is useful.

Jerome