[dhcwg] Proposed Resolution to DNA Issue 21: Review of DNA-07

Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com> Fri, 23 July 2004 14:48 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:08:11 -0700
From: Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com>
To: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: [dhcwg] Proposed Resolution to DNA Issue 21: Review of DNA-07
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

The text of DNA Issue 21: Review of DNA-07 is enclosed below.

The proposed resolution is as follows:

Change Section 1 to the following:

"The time required to detect movement (or lack of movement) between
subnets, and to obtain (or continue to use) a valid IPv4 address may be
significant as a fraction of the total delay in moving between points of
attachment. As a result, optimizing detection of network attachment is
important for mobile hosts.

This document synthesizes experience in the deployment of hosts supporting
ARP [RFC826], DHCP [RFC2131], and Link-Local IPv4 addresses [IPv4LL],
specifying a procedure to be performed for IPv4 detection of network
attachment. The procedure consists of three phases:
determination of the Most Likely Point of Attachment (MLPA), reachability
testing, and IPv4 address acquisition."

Add the following sentence to Section 2.3:

"If the host supports the Rapid Commit Option [RAPID], it is
possible that the exchange can be shortened from a 4-message
exchange to a 2-message exchange."

Add the following Informative reference:

[RAPID] Park, S., Kim, P., and B. Volz, "Rapid Commit Option for DHCPv4",
Internet draft (work in progress), draft-ietf-dhc-rapid-commit-opt-05.txt,
June 2004.

This change has been included in DNA-08:
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/DNA/draft-ietf-dhc-dna-ipv4-08.txt

Issue status is available at:
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/DNA/dnaissues.html

Issue 21: Review of DNA-07