Re: [dhcwg] Re: Last call for <draft-ietf-dhc-fqdn-option-02.txt>

Mark Stapp <mjs@cisco.com> Mon, 27 August 2001 23:02 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 19:00:06 -0400
To: Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com>
From: Mark Stapp <mjs@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Re: Last call for <draft-ietf-dhc-fqdn-option-02.txt>
Cc: DHCP discussion list <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Stuart,
I have identified three technical objections in your messages. First, you
object to the presence of the RCODE fields, which you do not find useful.
Second, you wish there were a single domain-name encoding in the fqdn
option. Third, there is some lack of clarity about what servers' default
behavior should be when presented with client fqdns that are in zones
outside the servers' administration. I've tried to respond to the third
issue in the other email threads.

As you observed in your reply to a question about the csr option, there are
many millions of deployed clients with dependencies on parts of some
existing options. In some cases, the presence of running implementations is
worth considering when developing a new protocol feature. In my opinion,
that is the case with both of your other objections. If we retain some
backwards compatibility, new functionality is introduced with a minimum of
disruption. The name encoding cost is born largely by the server
implementations, who must be prepared for clients who only understand the
deprecated ascii encoding. Everyone bears the burden of the additional two
bytes per option for the RCODEs. But that seems to me to be a smaller
burden than having to support both the existing option as deployed in many
millions of clients, as well as the time and cost to define, approve,
implement, and deploy a brand-new option that saves the two bytes.

It has been some time since those issues were last addressed by the working
group. I think that the compromise has been a very practical and reasonable
one. I don't think it's worth the time to reopen such a fundamental issue
as the value of fqdn option compatibility with every shipping MS client
since win98. I'd prefer that we make the best engineering tradeoff that's
available, account for the deployed clients, and add additional
capabilities that can be supported by future clients. If others feel that
this tradeoff is not worth making, we need to hear from them.

I feel that the purpose of the wg is to identify problems, reach consensus
on solutions, implement, and then refine based on operational experience.
We have some operational experience integrating DHCP and DNS, and that
motivates these specifications.

I'm not quite certain what you're getting at when you refer to our server
implementation. We update the server quite frequently, like many vendors.
If you have specific issues or integration problems with the cisco server,
feel free to contact me or Kim directly.

-- Mark